Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Tribute To Lightning

She was always waiting at the fence!
So, I never mentioned Lightning on this blog. I'm actually rather surprised that I didn't. Well, Lighting has been suffering from COPD for 7 years. It hasn't ever been so severe to the point that she can't breathe until Monday night. I didn't own Lightning until Monday night. Her owners called & said that if we would take her, we could have her. She couldn't breathe & was showing signs of colic, but hadn't been colicing. We have tried to get Lightning for the past few years. She was "my" first real pony. Things started looking up the night we picked her up & took her to the Vet. He put her on some anti-inflammatory steroids & told me to continue giving her Banimene for the pain. Yesterday, she hadn't shown much improvement & wouldn't drink or eat all day. This began worrying me. We gave her Gatorade by syringe so we could get something in her. This morning, she started looking worse. & she started showing signs of colic. We got her out of her stall, let her graze & she drank some. We had already called the Vet to tell him it was time to euthanize her. I've never lost a horse before. We just thought that she was going to be okay after grazing & drinking (finally). But when the Vet arrived, he checked her & her intestines had twisted. He didn't think she was a candidate for surgery either, with her condition. Lightning was euthanized about an hour ago. I am completely heartbroken. Her COPD attack could've been prevented but her owners didn't care, they didn't even try to help her with it. If she wouldn't have had the COPD attack, she wouldn't have coliced. Lightning was the pony that taught me the basics of riding - how to post, canter, & jump. She also taught me what love for an animal was, & how to take care of "my" own horse. I only officially owned her for two days before she had to leave this world. & I hate that. She has been with me multiple times over the past few years on free leases spanning from years to months. It is beyond ridiculous that it had to be a near death experience in order for me to finally get the horse. This horse was the first horse I ever did more than walk on. She always gave me her all, no matter what.
She had the cutest ears!
She hated jumping, but did it anyway. She also spent a year at a therapeutic riding facility. Lightning was 21 & deserved to live out the rest of her life, as a retired pasture mate. I could've given her that. I would've given her that. She meant the world to me & I absolutely hated to see her suffering. I really didn't want it to end like this. She was my best friend & I thank her for doing all of the things she has done for me. She is the reason I started riding again. She is the reason I gained the confidence to start eventing. This incident just goes to show who should & shouldn't own horses. I love you Lightning, & I hope you're galloping around in Heaven. You may have not been loved by your actual owners, but you were loved by me.
The old ladies relaxing - Winter 2012.



Lightning's last day.


No comments:

Post a Comment